Wednesday 2 May 2012

Day 21: Three Weeks Post Op


Smiling and saying cheese: 69% (Back to work is good)
Lips require Vaseline!




Pain: 17% (1 more down)

Weight: 12 stone 8lb or 176 lb
Weight loss at the minute: 5lb (2 more on. Maybe it was just my dinner but a good sign anyway)

Food I would love today: I was very content with my chicken and broccoli bake. It tasted great!

Three weeks from that face changing, diet changing and numb changing day when I got my operation.  Thankfully that day is well over me and I'm exceeding the speed limit on my road to recovery. I am really happy how far I have came since then. I've a long way to go but every day I'm doing better. Things I did today to prove my point:

1.    I started back to work. I got on my work clothes and got out to work. I worked at half the speed that I normally do, but I took my time and got some work done. I was up ladders as usual and on my feet the whole time. I didn't feel weak or very tired but I did feel hungry. As my mouth is still completely closed, I can't eat as usual which in turn affects my energy levels.

 I was able to 'talk' to my customers who were all very understanding and it just felt great to be doing something constructive again. I think the first day is the hardest, trying to get back into a routine but thankfully I have. I have my appointment tomorrow with my surgeon so I won't work tomorrow but maybe on Friday.

2.    I opened my mouth until it wouldn't open any further. I don't know why it wouldn't open wider but it just physically could not. Maybe there is a lack of muscle to do so. I also ate my dinner without the usual mess. Yes I did drop some over the table and I did have to wipe my lips a lot but it wasn't as messy plus I'm getting quicker at eating.

If your reading this because your going to be going through the same process, be encouraged. In my opinion, it is a hard few weeks but that's all it is. A few weeks, then I'm guessing a few months of inconvenience out of a lifetime but already I'm happy with how I'm looking. When I take my elastics off once a day, I like how my teeth are sitting nice and straight with the proper bite. I'm already looking forward to get my braces off one day.

It feels now that I have my operation over me that I'm looking towards the end of this process. Like I'm past half way there. I found my first consultation letter the other day and it was in September 2007. That's four and a half years ago that this whole process started. A long time but I'm glad that when I was asked, I decided to go ahead with the surgery. I think I would have regretted this opportunity if I had not have taken it.

I'm getting used to my 'new face' which has took a while. It is still changing as the swelling goes down. I will be glad to get these elastics off and then when I smile I will actually be able to see my teeth instead of a mouthful of elastics. Shaving is much easier too. I'm guessing that I struggled so much with this because my face was so sensitive with all the swelling. That's what I think anyway. Surgeon's appointment tomorrow.... so until then my loyal readers...including my recent spike in popularity in Belgium......................mmmmmmm Belgian Chocolate!


No comments:

Post a Comment