Thursday 24 May 2012

Day 43: Here Comes The Sun

Smiling and saying cheese: 86%( Elastics still on so I'm staying put!)

Ready for the Sunshine


Pain: 6% (No issue really))



Weight: 12 stone 9lb or 177lb
Weight loss at the minute: 4lb (Hanging in there)


Hard food I would love to chew today: Something different for lunch maybe! See below.


Hi again! Over 6 weeks from my surgery and I'm doing better than I ever imagined. I'm back to full time work and feeling as fit at work as I ever did. When I get out of breathe at work, I do make a funny 'sucking in air through closed teeth' noise but that's about it. Also lunches are a problem. For the last eight working days I have had chicken, chips, peas, onions and gravy from whatever fish and chip shop has been nearest me at that time.

As I can only take my elastics off once while I am at work, I have decided that this meal fills me up the most and keeps me working longer. Obviously I don't want this to be a long term habit so from next week I may have to plan my lunches a little better. Any ideas of what I can take to eat that doesn't have to be chewed and that will taste nice and fill me up.

Anyway, I know it has been an extremely long time from I updated you on my progress. I know you have all been waiting so eagerly for this moment. By the way it is over 22 degrees in Belfast this week. It is fantastic. I work outdoors 8 hours a day and am loving this sunshine. Unfortunately as we are not used to sunshine in Belfast it does bring out the worst in people. Here are some examples.

Young men who think they have a upper torso in the same category as Vin Diesel feel the need to strip off their t shirts to expose a rather slim, skinny, pale white build that resembles a pint of milk. Some ladies are not any better by showing off their pale white legs accompanied with stringy vest tops which can be pulled off by some 'California Girls' but in most instances, unfortunately not in Belfast. Harsh, I know.

Back to my teeth. First I am leading a completely normal life, very little pain and the only issues are that my teeth are still wired closed and have a numb chin and lower lip. I did have an appointment with my orthodontist yesterday which marked six weeks from surgery. He had a quick look and said everything looks great and that he won't have to do much adjustment to my braces as my teeth are sitting in a great position. Rock on Surgeon! Good job by her. Next he said that although it was six weeks, he told me to keep my elastics on until I see my surgeon next Thursday which I hope will be the day that I'm told I can keep them off for longer.

Elastics are fine, and just like braces you soon forget your wearing them. I even sat down to eat dinner one night and realised as I went to take a forkful of my food that I still had my elastics on. Crazy, I now. Well that's it folks.... now where did I leave my sandals, shorts and white socks......Oh there they are! A very true reality in the Emerald Isle!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't the weather brilliant!!! We are in the mid 20's this week down in Northamptonshire, I however do not work outside so havn't been able to take full advantage of the glorious weather, apart from my cheeky day off on tues! We too get the pasty people in the sunshine in Northants, we also get the overweight sweaty middle aged topless man and his wife here.
    Good to hear you are recovering well and quickly! Have you thought about maybe a cold pasta for lunch,(fussili pasta is an easy shape to swallow) some tuna or shredded chicken for some protein and some small bits of veg or salad? Or you could replace pasta with couscous?
    I'm having my braces fitted next week and wondered if you had any tips or advice for a braces fledgling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea the pasta does sound more healthy, will give it a go. Great you are getting your braces on next week. You will feel like the process has got underway at last. Actually getting your braces fitted is fine. It takes a while but isn't sore. I don't know if you are getting bands on your back teeth first. That's what happened to me. They are to widen the gap between your teeth. For the first few days these were very uncomfortable and made it awkward to eat. After a while you will get used to braces and like me, probably forget your wearing them until you look in a mirror. Food gets stuck in them a lot so clean your teeth regulary and don't eat hard food like apples as they can damage them. Also try your best to keep all your appointments as this will speed up the process. It will be so worth it in the future. I can't wait to get them off one day and see my new smile minus braces. Keep me updated

    ReplyDelete