Friday 11 May 2012

Day 30: Complan in Abundance

Smiling and saying cheese: 86%( I'm feeling good but elastics are here to stay for a while so I can't go much higher

Yes, I am that excited!!!


Pain: 10% Still minimal pain)



Weight: 12 stone 9lb or 177lb
Weight loss at the minute: 4lb (Getting there slowly, I think)


Hard food I would love to chew today: I bought 'bite size' weetabix and tried them for breakfast as I thought it would be easier to swallow. Mistake! Unlike regular sized weetabix these bite sized bad boys seem to be coated in a varnish type coating which makes them extremely hard to break down using the roof of my mouth and my tongue. It took them ages to turn into that weetabix mush which I know so many of you enjoy

Sorry, sorry, sorry. I am getting very bad at updating my blog but I have a fun filled, action packed edge of your seat post for you today. Actually I don't but here goes. Why have I not updated? Well as I said last week, I don't really have much to update you on. I feel pretty much the same as I did last week. I still have a numb chin, lower lip and gums. I have little swelling and my jaw occasionally aches which is accompanied by a sore head. I am living a completely normal life again just like before surgery.

Just in case you didn't see the first photo!
 The only difference is is that my mouth is completely closed with elastics all day and night except for three times a day when I take them off to eat. When I have them on throughout the day I forget about them. I suppose if I didn't have elastics on, my mouth would be closed anyway so this doesn't bother me at all. I am back to work full time and feel fine working. I don't feel weak or overly tired but I do miss having a mid morning break of something to eat.

As I'm only taking my elastics off three times a day I take them off for breakfast, lunch and dinner which doesn't leave room for a break time snack. I'm still using a baby toothbrush. I tried my normal sized toothbrush but it felt like I was brushing with a salon style hairbrush so I reverted back to my little friend.  My long overdue 'Complan' arrived from the pharmacy this week. I think they gave me too much as there is enough to feed (or quench the thirst of) a small army. Don't believe me.... check out my photo please. In each box there are 4 sachets. One box costs over £4.oo. Thank you NHS and free prescriptions. I'm selling them to you for £3 per box or two boxes for £5. Go on. Hello to my new reader from Argentina. I love your flag colours of baby blue and white.

On Wednesday I had an appointment with my Orthodontist. It was straight forward and went as followed:

After a quick look at my teeth with the elastics still on, my orthodontist showed a junior dentist around my mouth explaining to him that my bite was now great as there was a good overlap and that my teeth lined up quite well. This was good to hear. He noticed that my 'bands' were loose. No, not my elastic bands as you are currently presuming. These 'bands' are metal bands which go around my back teeth. They are like little rings which slot over the back molars, I think those teeth are called that. Anyway they were loose which required them being 'recemented' on which isn't a big deal. As a veteran of all things teeth, I have had this done before.lol.


That was it, it felt like a regular check up and I have another one in a few weeks.  He said six weeks is the magic number. I don't think it's magic but I think he meant that if I get to six weeks then chances of relapse are slimmer and bone healing is well under way. Less than two weeks to go then. I still have nearly three weeks until I see my surgeon again which is frustrating as it means that my elastics are on until at least then but I will manage.

Finally before I leave, it's funny how my priorities have changed. Week one and two post op, a lot of my time was taken up with all things jaw surgery which included blogs, forums, you tube and generally managing to cope and adjust to the challenges of jaw surgery. Now at week four, I'm back to work and busy life and don't think as much about it. I guess it is a good thing as I am recovering well and getting on with life without letting my elasticated teeth annoy me too much. That's all folks! Well for today at least.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment