Saturday 14 April 2012

Day 1 and 2: I look so bad

Cold mask was good
Smiling and saying cheese: 2% (I can move my lips a little but can't change my facial expression)

Pain scale: 50%


After my terrible first night, the surgeon came by and pulled my tubes out of my nose which was followed by a nose bleed and she didn't seem to concerned with my condition and thought I could go home. Thankfully the nurses didn't think so. I was glad that a nice nurse took some time with me to get me sorted.  First she got me up on my feet and helped me to the bathroom. I felt so weak but was able to go to the toilet and I brought myself to look into a mirror. I have such a fat face, blood hardened around my mouth and nose and just looked so bad. I made it back to my bed were she gave me a basin and helped clean me up.
Fat face and lips

At this stage I coughed up the blood etc that was at the back of my throat. As I couldn't open my mouth I had to use my suction tube to drain the blood through my teeth. I was able to eat through a syringe and had some soup later on in the day. I was also given a milkshake made with ice cream which was great. I spent most of the day in bed and had a nap I think.
I find it hard to remember everything at the minute but will write as much as I can remember.

Swollen cheeks
 I had some visitors and a few trips to the toilet by myself. I had a better sleep waking only 4 or 5 times during the night. I didn't have the tubes or oxygen mask on so that helped. On Friday I felt a bit better again and got a shower and a shave. As for numbness my lower lip and chin are completely numb but the rest of my face isn't too bad. I got changed and felt well enough to pack my clothes.

 At lunchtime I was released from hospital and my dad brought me home. I had a sleep for a while and then Ashleigh came home from work which was great. She has looked after me loads and has been a great help and encouragement. I had an OK of a sleep last night waking only 3 or 4 times. The last few posts have been hard to remember exactly what order things happened but hopefully from now on my posts will be better as I will write them for each day.
Before

After


2 comments:

  1. How did you eat soup through all those bands? My surgery is on June 8th. I'm getting pretty nervous about the first couple days post-op. But your story and pictures are helping to know what lays ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that this blog has helped you and don't over worry. A fter a tough first week things get a lot easier. My soup had to be blended then sieved so there were no 'bits' at all in it. Then the soup finds a way through the bands ok. I did have a lot more bands on than normal. 7 weeks today and I feel great!

    ReplyDelete