Saturday 28 April 2012

Day 17: Open Wide

Smiling and saying cheese: 60% (up a big 6% after having some half proper food)
Me and my two new friends.. tommee and tippee

Pain: 20% (Back to 20% after having my jaw open with no extra pain)

Weight: 12 stone 5lb or 173 lb
Weight loss so far: 8lb (Lost another one but not surprised as I haven't ate so much in the last few days)


Food I would love today: Chicken Fajitas with lots of crunchy salad and mayo


A big milestone today but I will come to that in a minute. After deciding to lie in a little longer than we had planned we headed to Asda again to get our shopping but because we had a lie in and didn't arrive until mid morning the crowds had gathered. The thing that annoys me is that 'Asda' now do the shopping for people who buy it on line and then deliver it to their homes. Instead of the staff collecting the shopping for their customers in the dead of night when the store isn't open and they have the aisles to themselves they decide in their infinite wisdom to collect the products when the store is full on a Saturday morning.

So instead of having to deal with the usual shoppers, I now have to deal with the staff pushing around their over sized trolley carts with their self scanners in hand. After that ordeal lunchtime came and today was the big day. Ashleigh made me smash (mashed potato) with fried onion, butter and cut up pieces of bacon. I asked her not to blend it yet but to wait and see how I got on when I took my elastics off.

Yes, these happy campers are to blame
So standing in front of the small mirror in the kitchen, using my tweezers I began to ping of my elastics. I'm getting quicker every time. It didn't feel as strange today once they were off and I was pretty certain my jaw wasn't going to drop to the floor. I opened my mouth probably about 1.5inches and quickly reached for my baby plastic spoon and the bowl of food. I scooped a little of the mixture onto my spoon and pushed it into the gap in my mouth. It was so good. I just swallowed it though I could feel that my food had texture.

I could feel the sharp edges of the bacon hit my throat. I could feel the lumpy potatoes. It felt amazing. I was actually eating food, it was soft food like baby food but at least I wasn't drinking a light brown concoction. I took another spoonful. And then another. Maybe too fast but I was hungry and I didn't want to have my elastics off for too long. This was the longest time I had them off. My feeding frenzy resulted in my lips and chin being covered in baby food along with the worktop. Now I know what babies goes through when they feed.

I also had one of those trifles in a pot for dessert. It tastes so good I couldn't fit it in quick enough. One of my most memorable meals of my short 25 years on earth. After feeding, I decided to try and brush my teeth and more importantly the inside of my teeth which haven't been cleaned in 16 days. I tried my best without opening my mouth too wide and managed to reach a few places. I then stuck my tongue out as far as I could which was probably half way. Using my baby toothbrush I started to scrub at the greeny, brownish fur that has taken over. It didn't seem to clean off too well though the toothbrush bristles were caked in the brown goo.

I gave up on this task quickly and have decided to fight another day. The only problem I had to this point was that I prematurely bit down while my spoon was still in my mouth which sent shock waves through my jaws. I was a little excited I guess. It was sore. After rinsing my mouth with my medicated mouthwash I closed my jaws together in preparation for re banding only to find that my teeth weren't lining up as before and my jaws weren't as tight as before.

Had I had my mouth open too long? Had my jaw relapsed into a wrong position? After a little panicking and a sudden temperature change which resulted in sweating thinking my jaw was ruined, I consulted Ashleigh and previous photos I had taken of my teeth to see if they looked the same. Ashleigh adviced to re band and that would pull my teeth back together. I wasn't convinced but had no other option. In the end I did that and I think it has done the job.

I think my teeth are sitting in pretty much the same position as before but I am looking forward to see my surgeon on Thursday who will hopefully be happy with them. You see I have taken my bands off today and yesterday because my orthodontist told me I can and although he is a professional, I will feel better when I hear my surgeon tell me that I can. I feel like cheating after having proper food today if you can count mashed potato as proper food. It will be soup tonight as I'm only allowed my bands of once a day. Maybe tomorrow I will eat like a king again. Sensitive teeth and chin as usual, pain minimal and guess what, I haven't sneezed in 17 days. More on that tomorrow. I know, I can't wait to talk about it either. Oh hello to my first reader from the Philippines!

No comments:

Post a Comment