Saturday 7 April 2012

Pre Op then Free Chicken Nuggets

I wonder what they're made of?
I arrived and seen my surgeon for my last pre op appointment yesterday. Firstly we went over the procedure again and she went through the risks again. They include among others numbness, bleeding , infection, jaw trying to move back into original position, swelling and weight loss. No problem at all then.ha ha. She then brought over two thin pieces of coloured plastic with  my bite marks imprinted on them. This is were the problem arose.

Just to explain these 'plates' is used during surgery and after surgery to keep your jaw in the right position. In theory the bite marks on the plate should line up with my teeth when set against them. The problem was that they weren't and when my surgeon put the plate against my teeth there was a slight rocking and it wasn't a snug fit.

To cut a long story short, a lab technician who makes the plates came down and started adjusting the plates with a tool which did help a lot and the plates fitted my teeth much better but when the surgeon had another look at it she still wasn't happy. At this stage I thought that my surgery wouldn't go ahead but thankfully it didn't mean they couldn't carry out the surgery, but it meant that new impressions had to be taken and new plates made.  I know that all sounds a bit complicated but I got my new impressions made and was able to leave after that.

So I have to ring the ward on Tuesday morning to check what time I can come in at, then surgery on Wednesday.........at the minute. Last weekend of proper food for a while so I'm planning on making the best of it, plenty of Easter eggs, a Chinese and I had McDonald's yesterday which I rarely do and as a bonus won free chicken nuggets which I drove through the drive through to collect. Maybe they knew I required the extra calories. Today was also my last day of work which is good as I can concentrate on surgery over the weekend. It is also my 5th wedding anniversary today.

Smiling and saying cheese: 100%
Pain: 0%

O how things will change!

2 comments:

  1. Hey just came across your blog. I've been blogging for a while on here at http://openbiteblog.blogspot.com
    I was suppose to be having surgery this month but it got pushed back since my surgeon wasn't happy with my bite.
    I don't know how to follow your blog with the new layout on blogger.
    Anyway best of luck. I'll check back for updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terra,
    I'm just home from hospital a few hours ago and hope to get some photos and and update up later today or at the latest tomorrow. Thanks for your comment and it is best that you wait until your bite is ready for surgery. It will be a lot simplier that way. I'm not sure how you can follow my blog. If you try to subscribe at the side of my home page. I'm new to blogging so not much help. Thanks for looking. Johnny

    ReplyDelete