Thursday 19 April 2012

Day 8: First Post Op

Smiling and saying cheese: 25% (Good to get appointment over with and know everything is OK at the minute)
Me and my elastics!

Pain: 40% (up by 5% from yesterday due to aching jaw after appointment)


Weight: 12 stone 6lb or 174 lbs
Weight loss so far: 7lb (the same as yesterday, 2 days in a row)

Food I would love today: Barbecue chicken pizza with crunchy salad with mayo (Simple)
Swollen side profile
Last night I counter attacked my lack of sleep by not taking my tablets as early and held off until nearly midnight before I took them. I wasn't as sore last night but still woke up 3 or 4 times but at least it was a small improvement again. After a drink of creamed rice for breakfast I started my morning by watching 'the joy of painting' which nearly put me back to sleep but it was relaxing at least. If anyone has any ideas for breakfast I would love to hear them? Tingling in my chin and lower teeth are still going crazy and I hope that it may be early signs of feeling returning to my chin.

Today I was writing thank you cards to the nurses who looked after me and without thinking went to lick the envelope to seal it..... I'm guessing your just catching on to the problem with that right about.....now! I ended up wetting my fingers under the tap to complete this task.After getting ready I went to see the nurses at my ward and showered them with my gifts of a tray of milk tray and thank you cards all presented in a nice velvety gift bag. They were very thankful just as I am of them for their care.

I then went to see my surgeon for the first time since surgery This is what happened:
  • Firstly she cut all the elastics off that were holding my teeth together. She said there was almost a rubber tree in my mouth, there were that many bands (not literally a rubber tree)
  • She asked me to open my mouth and close it which I did. It wasn't sore but it felt strange to do so and I don't think I opened it too wide.
  • As I closed my mouth using her hands she pushed my teeth tighter together which resulted in a nice crack noise on my left side, at which point my eyes must have widened but she quickly reassured me that this was normal. I'll take her word on it.
  • She immediately put on my new elastics which hold my teeth firmly shut but there aren't as many and they it doesn't look like I have a full tomato in my mouth. You can actually see my teeth.
  • She explained that usually the bands would stay on but they could be taken off for cleaning and eating, but because my surgery was a little more complicated she said I can't take them off at all as she wants to make sure the bone solidifies well so it's a liquid diet for at least another two weeks until I see her again. 
  • I was given a pack of elastics in case I break any of my current ones I'll be able to replace them.
  • I then asked her a few questions which may help you if you go through the same process:
  1. Is this congestion that I've been suffering with normal? Yes, because I'm drinking a lot of dairy produce it creates a lot of mucus which sticks in my throat. I need to rinse with mouth wash as much as possible.
  2. Do I have to sleep sitting up? No my swelling isn't to bad so as long as I'm comfortable I can sleep anyway I want though probably not upside down. (She didn't say upside down)
  3. Can I blow my nose yet? No because she cut through my sinuses it's a bad idea to blow my nose. Picking will continue then.
  4. Chin is tingly and sensitive teeth? This is a good sign as it shows that I may be starting to regain my feeling in my chin and lower lip. It is annoying but.
  5. There seems to be more swelling on my left cheek? Don't worry about this as it's very early days.
  6. Does everything look OK?Yes everything looks good but keeping elastics on to make sure.
New elastics and my new bite
That was it. I just had to book my appointment for two weeks time on 3rd May with the receptionist. I stopped by the bathroom in the hospital to take a look at my teeth. They look good but I know they will require more work by my orthodontist. It's hard to explain but I think the top teeth look like they are too far forward compared with the bottom but I guess the orthodontist can sort that out in time with my braces. Any one else experience that?

I went to Asda (Asda is owned by Walmart for the benefit of my American readers) and got some food mainly for Ashleigh. I got home and went to bed for my afternoon Grandpa nap as I was tired and my jaw was aching and wasn't yet due tablets. Another great day and a long post. Thanks for reading and hope you can leave a comment.

Johnny



7 comments:

  1. Hi Johnny, congratulations on completing your surgery! It's nice to find a UKer that's going through Orthognathic surgery, I've just got my dates for braces so I'm a long way off surgery yet but your blog is very informative and is helping me to get my head round the whole thing! Hope your stuffyness isn't as bad today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natasha, thanks for being my first proper follower. That's great you have your date, when is it? At least you know when which will help you prepare. Thanks for reading and my stuffyness is much better today thankfully. I've just added today's post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your swollen side profile picture looks real nice! :) It's actually a real big change from before. But you still look like yourself which is good. Has Emily approved yet? Do you have a side picture of yourself before the operation? Would be interesting to compare. :)

    ANNA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Natasha I misread your comment and thought you had your surgery date. That's great you have your braces date at least once you get them on you only have to wait unti your teeth are striaghtened then you can get surgery. Once I got my braces on, it was 1 year and 3 months until I got surgery and things start to become a reality when your braces get put on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Anna
    I haven't seen Emily from the last time. She wouldn't come and see me with her mum so I will have to go visit her. If you click on my before and after photos at the top of the page you will see a side profile before or look at day 9 post for a pic of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Johnny, Yeah I'm looking forward to having them on and get going, but equally once they are on, that's it, double jaw surgery is on its way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It will be good when you get them on because you know the process has started.First step... straight teeth!

    ReplyDelete