Tuesday 17 April 2012

Day 6: A Slim Homer

Chipmunk Cheeks!
Smiling and saying cheese: 10% (Not just a good a day as yesterday)

Pain: 45% (mixed kinda day)
Weight: 12 stone 6lb or 174 lbs
Weight loss so far: 7lb

Food I would love today: Ham and cheese sandwiches with a cup of tea and a side of creamy coleslaw. Strange I know!

I had another bad sleep last night waking up a lot with a sore jaw (funny enough) and the same pressure around my nose. I had a sleep over with the recliner which eliminated my numb lower cheeks which was nice. After a lazy and sore few hours, I got washed and shaved with my favourite shaver ;which always makes me feel better and in the process noticed that I am transforming into Mr Homer Simpson as you can see in the photos. I also had my daily ceremonial nose cleaning exercise using ear buds to clean out the blood and rubbish that is still in there.

My transformation begins!
My predicted final appearance!
There is some bruising on my cheek and my throat which has appeared but apart from that and also being congested I'm feeling good. I am very fortunate how well I'm feeling as it can always be worse i.e... I could be recovering from a  life threatening operation or starving with no hope of food in the future like a child in a third world country so it's good to keep my 'suffering' in perspective. I had soup for lunch. My friend came round and we played Call of Duty on the PS3 for a few hours which was action packed.

The main problem today was being congested and the feeling of a blocked throat and not being able to spit anything up due to my teeth being held together. Sorry that sounds disgusting. By tea time I was quite sore and not as good as I was yesterday. I headed to bed and took some stronger tablets which helped a little. For dinner I had cauliflower cheese puree which tasted good and would have been delicious over some beef or chicken as part of a roast dinner but not on this occasion. It was on it's own. Could you imagine going into a restaurant and seeing  cauliflower cheese on a menu all by itself. "Excuse me Waiter, what is the cauliflower cheese puree served with this evening?" And the reply coming back at you... "On its own, Sir!"

 My talking seems understandable to most people though it is a effort to speak, swallow and breathe at the same time. Well hopefully sleeping will be better tonight as I'm starting to dread bedtime which is normally my favourite time of day. Sofa or bed... decision,decisions.


6 comments:

  1. do they give you sleep aids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't had any sleep aids. All I have before bed is Paracetamol and an anti inflamatory but tonight I plan to take Co Codamol (codeine and paracetamol)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Johnny.
      Do you know if it is safe to take a sleep aid after surgery? A big fear of mine is not being able to sleep at all as I already suffer from that problem pre-surgery.

      Delete
  2. The throat / congestion combo is the worse isn't it! Glad to see you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: sleep aid... it is probably best to check with your doctor or surgeon and I'm sure they could give you the best option or medication for you. Hopefully it will not last too much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John. Thanks for the comment. Yea the congestion has been really annoying today. Glad to hear it's not unusual but I wish I could get rid of it but maybe I just have to ride it out?

    ReplyDelete